Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

 

The Silent Killer: Protect Your Family – Protect Your Tenants

Safeguard your family and tenants from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by installing and maintaining detectors outside every sleeping area in your home and rental property. CO is often referred to as the “silent killer” because it is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas. Depending on the level of exposure, CO may cause fatigue, weakness, chest pains for those with heart disease, shortness of breath upon exertion, nausea, vomiting, headaches, confusion, lack of coordination, impaired vision, loss of consciousness, and in severe cases, death. CO detectors are designed to measure CO levels over time and sound an alarm before dangerous levels of CO accumulate in an environment, giving people adequate warning to safely ventilate the area or evacuate.

Since 2009, the state of Colorado has required homeowners and owners of rental property to install carbon monoxide alarms near the bedrooms (or other rooms/areas lawfully used for sleeping purposes) in every home that is heated with fossil fuel, has a fuel-fired appliance, has a fireplace, or has an attached garage.

If your CO detector’s alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call 911 from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrive.

More Resources:

Community Advisory December 3, 2012

Estes Valley Fire District **COMMUNITY ADVISORY** Monday Dec 3, 2012

 Please click here to read our community advisory. Topics for this advisory include:

  • Open Burning Ban Announced
  • Batteries Needed! Running short on batteries for radios, taking donations!
  • Fern Lake Fire Summary
  • Fern Lake Fire Information
  • Emergency Notifications

To sign up for our community newsletter, please visit our EVFPD Newsletter page.